At Cornell Law School, we want to know you by name and be respectful by addressing you by your preferred name. Please confirm that your preferred name is accurate in Student Essentials in PeopleSoft, the University’s system of record.
Your preferred name will be used on a magnetic nametag that you receive at Orientation and use for the duration of your time at Cornell, in our online student directory, on classroom rosters, on seating charts, and on the Law School Convocation program.
- Students now have the option for their preferred name to appear on their diploma. No legal name change is required.
- The Law School must use your legal name on externally facing documents such as forms submitted to courts or bar examiners and transcripts. A legal name change is required for such external documents to reflect your preferred name.
You can learn more about our policies regarding preferred name here. We encourage you to review those policies closely to understand where we can use your preferred first name and where we must use your legal name.
To set your preferred name:
- Visit Student Essentials
- Click the “Sign In” button
- Click on Update Preferred First Name
- Edit name and click Update Preferred Name
If you have any questions, please get in touch with us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.