At this time, we are producing hard-copy recommendation letters only if a judge expressly requires hard copy. When requesting hard-copy letters, please specify whether the judge has advertised or communicated to you that letters of recommendation must be sent by hard copy rather than by email. Otherwise, we will send letters to chambers via email. If you have any questions, please contact our office. (3/11/22)
Use the below process only if a judge does not accept applications via the OSCAR system.
- Clerkship Letter Request System:
- Click here to login. Follow the four steps outlined in the top menu bar. Use the instructions, located at the “Help?” button, if needed.
- Include all pertinent details in the Comments box provided on the site. For example,
- Provide us with the email address of chambers. Students, use Leadership Connect to find judges’ email addresses. (Unfortunately, alumni do not have access to Leadership Connect. Search for email addresses on the courts’ websites, or let us know in your request that you can’t find the address.)
- Let us know if the judge requires that we send your application materials to chambers along with your recommendation letters.
- For hard-copy requests, let us know if the judge has advertised or communicated to you that letters must be sent in hard copy rather than email.
- If a judge is not listed in the Clerkship Letter Request System, please email our office with the name of the judge, mailing information, salutation, recommenders’ names, and any special instructions.
- Processing Your Request:
- If we do not yet have your letters, you will need to contact your recommenders and request the letter be sent to our office.
- Once we receive your letters from your recommenders, we will proof them and may suggest edits for the recommender.
- Upon receipt of the final version of your letter, we will format the letter and save it. Your recommender’s work is now done.
- If you have already applied at the time you make your request, we will email your letters to the judge’s chambers.
- If you have not yet applied at the time that you make your request, let us know that in your request. Once you have applied, notify us. We will email your letters so that they arrive after your application materials have been received in chambers.
- If a judge requires your application and letters be sent together, please email your application materials to our office. We will attach your letters of recommendation and send the complete application packet to chambers.
- In all cases, we will then notify you after we send your letters.